Sustainability is one of MArS’ core values! Hence MArS has defined four rules of behaviour on which all MArS members work, travel and live.
- “Notified Bodies”, which previously carried out the certification, are now accredited. Currently there are only 7 companies that are allowed to certify from 20.5.2020. The small number would delay the certification considerably.
- Previously, the state authorities were responsible for monitoring medical devices. From 25.5.2020, this will fall within the remit of the BfArm, i.e. the BfArm itself can withdraw medical devices from the market.
- British Standard Institution issues 2/3 of CE certificates in UK and is now accredited as Notified Body in Germany
- Legally binding: alternative compromise ideas with more scope for the member states are currently being developed for this purpose.
- Judicial redress: would an EU HTA assessment be an administrative decision or a preparatory measure to a decision?
- Scope: newly authorised medicinal products (proposal D/F: selection of 10 products per year); medical devices (proposal D/F: selection of some high-risk products)
- Dispute resolution in proceedings: is a simple or qualified (55 % of Member States with 65 % population) sufficient?
- Normally, the Council negotiates between Parliament and the Commission; this is the first time that parliament mediates between the Commission and the Council.
- Theoretically, failure would be possible, but would be a major setback for the EU.
- Agreement between Commission, EU Parliament and EU Council (“Trilogue”) expected in 2020
- Depending on how long the procedure will last, the question is which country as President of the Council will end the procedure: 1. HY 2020: Croatia; 2. HY: Germany
The availability of Zolgensma in the USA has also fuelled the price discussion for new drugs in Germany. Zolgensma is approved in the USA for the treatment of children with spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) and can (potentially) cure the disease. The drug has not yet been approved in Germany – European approval is expected next year.
Now there are two big discussions in Germany: On the one hand the handling of drugs that have not yet been approved in Germany and on the other hand the pricing of these drugs.
The handling of drugs prior to approval is clearly regulated in the Drug Hardness Ordinance (AMHV) on the so-called Compassionate Use Programme and provides for a cohort programme care of German patients. The drug is made available free of charge! The individual case regulation, which is now also criticized by the health insurance companies, is also clearly regulated by the so-called “Nikolaus” judgment from the year 2005 and is especially made for life-threatening diseases.
As far as the price is concerned, it should be noted that 1) SMA only affects 500 patients throughout Europe, i.e. approx. 80 patients in Germany (!) – so with 100 insurances on average 1 patient per insurance – and 2) without an expectation for high profit in such ultra orphan diseases, no new therapies and medicines will be available in the future either, as the research and investment incentives are then no more given.
MArS supports you with the optimal reimbursement strategy, pricing for the D-A-CH market and, of course, in a possible early contact and discussion with the statutory health insurance funds.
Ever wanted to understand game theory?
Perfect timing with the availability of infocomix. Within „game theory“ the authors were able to transfer the basic concepts of game theory in an easy and non-mathematical way! Fun to read also for experienced game theorists!!
We at MArS apply game theory in our MArS negotiation boot camp to prepare clients optimally for the negotiations with payers! Contact us!!!
The book is available also on Amazon.
Great honor to have been invited to a Pharmacoeconomics workshop in November to Cairo, Egypt. Dr. Walzer presented the situation on evidence-based medicine, HTA and reference pricing in Europe as well as the introduction into value-based pricing in the context of health economics.
The course was well organized by Accsight and their team with a very open-minded Egyptian payer audience.
Big discussions paving the way for a new Egyptian health care system by 2030!!!
ISPOR ahead – we are just finalizing our eight MArS posters!!
With our Medvance mates we have even close to 30 posters this year!!! And all Medvance posters presented at ISPOR you can find at one place!!! Market access and pricing strategy for Europe developed and executed by local, independent consultancies – only with Medvance!!! Contact us.
Get all posters at our Medvance site: https://medvance.eu/conferences/